Who is MacKenzie Scott?
MacKenzie Scott is a name that has become synonymous with philanthropy and charitable giving. She is a billionaire philanthropist and author who has made a name for herself as one of the most generous philanthropists in the world.
Scott’s philanthropic giving is particularly notable because of the large sums of money she donates to a wide range of organizations, including those that support racial equity, gender equity, economic mobility, and public health.
But before her philanthropic work, MacKenzie Scott was known as one of the co-founders of Amazon, a global e-commerce giant that revolutionized the way people shop online. As the former wife of Jeff Bezos, the founder and CEO of Amazon, Scott played a key role in the company’s early growth and success.
Despite the immense wealth she acquired through her involvement with Amazon, Scott’s philanthropic work has earned her a reputation as a humble and empathetic individual who is committed to helping those who are less fortunate. In just a few years, she has donated billions of dollars to hundreds of charitable organizations across the world, using her wealth to make a meaningful impact in the lives of many.
MacKenzie Scott’s story is one of remarkable success and extraordinary generosity. She is a true inspiration to many, and her philanthropic work will undoubtedly leave a lasting legacy for generations to come.
In this biography, we will explore her life, her achievements, her philanthropy, and her impact on society.
Become The Next Internet Millionaire
MacKenzie Scott Personal Info
Name: MacKenzie Scott
DOB: April 7, 1970
Birthplace: San Francisco, California, U.S.A.
Education: University of Washington
Husband/Partner: Divorced – Single
Hometown: Seattle, Washington
Famous As: The philanthropist who gave away billions of dollars to various charitable causes, earning her widespread recognition and praise for her generosity and impact.
MacKenzie Scott’s Early Life
MacKenzie Scott was born on April 7, 1970, in San Francisco, California. She grew up in a middle-class family in a suburb of Seattle, Washington, with her younger brother and sister.
Scott’s family played a significant role in shaping her values and worldview. Her parents instilled in her a strong sense of social responsibility. She was raised with a deep understanding of the importance of giving back to the community. Her father’s career in financial planning also helped her develop a keen understanding of the world of finance and investing, which would later serve her well as a philanthropist.
As a child, Scott was described as shy and introspective but also as someone who had a great sense of humor and a love for adventure. She was an avid reader and spent much of her free time exploring the outdoors with her family.
Despite her family’s financial stability, Scott’s childhood was not without its challenges. Her parents divorced when she was young, and she has spoken publicly about her mother’s struggle with addiction and the impact it had on her family.
Despite these challenges, Scott’s upbringing laid the foundation for her future success and her commitment to giving back to those in need. Her childhood experiences helped her develop a strong sense of empathy and a desire to make a difference in the world, which would later drive her philanthropic work.
Unlock the door to financial freedom with the
#1 home-based business opportunity!
Discover a way to earn over $100K a year from the comfort of your own home.
Don’t wait, click now to start your journey to success.
MacKenzie Scott’s Education
From a young age, MacKenzie Scott showed an aptitude for academics and excelled in her studies. She attended Hotchkiss School, a prestigious boarding school in Connecticut, where she was a star student and graduated as valedictorian in 1988.
After graduating from Hotchkiss School, Scott went on to attend Princeton University, where she majored in English literature and graduated with the highest honors in 1992. During her time at Princeton, she was heavily involved in the theater community, writing and performing in numerous productions.
Following graduation, Scott worked for several years in finance, including a stint at a New York City-based hedge fund. However, she ultimately found that the fast-paced world of finance did not align with her values and decided to pivot her career toward writing.
Scott’s passion for writing led her to pursue a Master’s degree in creative writing at the University of Washington, which she completed in 1995. During her time at the University of Washington, Scott honed her writing skills and began working on her first novel, “The Testing of Luther Albright,” which would go on to win the 2006 Pulitzer Prize for fiction.
Scott’s academic achievements are a testament to her intellectual curiosity and her dedication to pursuing her passions. Her diverse educational background in literature, finance, and creative writing would ultimately help her succeed in a range of different fields, from her early career in finance to her later work as a philanthropist and author.
MacKenzie Scott’s Career
MacKenzie Scott started her career briefly in finance before deciding to pursue her passion for writing. She published her first novel, “The Testing of Luther Albright,” while attending the University of Washington.
However, Scott’s career took an unexpected turn when she met Jeff Bezos, who was at the time the founder and CEO of Amazon. The two quickly fell in love and were married in 1993.
Scott played a critical role in the early days of Amazon, helping to build the company from the ground up. As one of the company’s first employees, she worked alongside Bezos to develop the company’s business model and oversee its growth.
Scott’s contributions to Amazon were particularly notable in the company’s early days when the fledgling e-commerce giant was still struggling to establish itself in a crowded market. She played a key role in helping the company develop its brand identity and build its customer base, using her keen understanding of finance and business strategy to help guide the company’s growth.
While Scott’s role in Amazon was largely behind the scenes, her contributions to the company’s success were significant. She helped build the company into the e-commerce powerhouse it is today, and her work laid the foundation for Amazon’s continued growth and success.
In 2019, Scott and Bezos announced their divorce, with Scott receiving a 4% stake in Amazon as part of the settlement. This stake, worth billions of dollars, made Scott one of the wealthiest women in the world and set the stage for her next chapter as a philanthropist and author.
MacKenzie Scott’s career has been marked by a remarkable range of achievements. From her early work in finance and creative writing to her role as a co-founder of Amazon and her current work as a philanthropist and author, she has shown herself to be a versatile and accomplished individual who is committed to making a positive impact in the world.
MacKenzie Scott’s Net Worth
MacKenzie Scott’s net worth has undergone significant changes throughout her career, reflecting her various achievements and investments.
Before her divorce, Scott’s net worth was largely tied to her stake in Amazon, with an estimated to be worth around $35 billion at the time. Following the divorce, Scott received a 4% stake in Amazon as part of the settlement, which was valued at around $38 billion.
Scott has since become known for her philanthropic work, donating a significant portion of her wealth to various charitable causes. In 2020, she announced that she had donated more than $4 billion to 384 organizations throughout the year, focusing on causes such as racial justice, LGBTQ+ rights, and education.
Despite her significant philanthropic donations, Scott’s net worth has continued to grow. As of April 7, 2023, her real-time net worth is $27.4 billion, making her one of the wealthiest individuals in the world.
MacKenzie Scott’s net worth reflects her success as a co-founder of Amazon. Her wealth has given her the resources to make a significant impact on the world. Her ongoing charitable donations serve as a testament to her commitment to making a positive difference.
MacKenzie Scott’s Personal Life
MacKenzie Scott has been described as intelligent, driven, and passionate. She has demonstrated a keen understanding of finance and business strategy, as well as a deep commitment to philanthropic causes.
As for her hobbies and interests, Scott is an accomplished author, having published two novels, “The Testing of Luther Albright” and “Traps.” She is known to be an avid reader and has been spotted attending literary events and book signings.
In terms of her personality, Scott has been described as private and reserved, preferring to stay out of the public eye. However, she has also been praised for her generosity and commitment to making a positive impact in the world.
While little is known about MacKenzie Scott’s personal life, her characteristics, hobbies, and personality suggest that she is a driven, intelligent individual who is dedicated to making a difference in the world through her philanthropic work and writing.
MacKenzie Scott’s Parents
MacKenzie Scott’s parents played a significant role in shaping her life and career. Her mother, Sandra “Mac” Tuttle, was a homemaker, while her father, a financial planner named Kent Tuttle, worked in the investment industry.
Scott’s parents were both active in their local community and instilled in her a sense of the importance of giving back.
Sandra “Mac” Tuttle, MacKenzie Scott’s mother, was known for her kindness and generosity and was actively involved in various charitable organizations throughout her life. MacKenzie has spoken publicly about her mother’s impact on her life, describing her as a strong and supportive figure who encouraged her to pursue her passions and give back to the community.
Kent Tuttle, MacKenzie Scott’s father, was also actively involved in his local community, serving as a member of the Rotary Club and other service organizations. Kent instilled in his daughter a deep appreciation for the value of hard work and the importance of making a positive impact in the world. MacKenzie has credited her father with teaching her the financial literacy and business acumen that has been instrumental in her success.
Scott has spoken publicly about the impact her parents had on her life, describing them as supportive and encouraging throughout her career.
Unfortunately, Scott’s parents passed away in a tragic accident in 2020. The loss was a devastating blow for Scott, who has spoken openly about the grief she experienced in the aftermath. While their passing was a tragic loss, their legacy lives on through their daughter’s ongoing philanthropic efforts.
MacKenzie Scott’s Siblings
MacKenzie Scott has a brother named Matt Tuttle. Matt is several years older than MacKenzie and has largely kept a low profile in the public eye. Little is known about his career or personal life.
Despite the lack of information available about Matt, it is clear that he and MacKenzie have a close relationship. In a recent blog post, MacKenzie described her brother as “brilliant and funny” and credited him with helping her navigate the challenges of their parents’ sudden passing.
MacKenzie and Matt both grew up in a family that placed a strong emphasis on giving back to the community. Their parents were active in various charitable organizations, and MacKenzie has continued this tradition through her significant philanthropic donations in recent years.
MacKenzie Scott Husband (Partner)
MacKenzie Scott was married to Jeff Bezos, the founder and former CEO of Amazon, for 25 years. The couple met while working at a New York hedge fund in the early 1990s and were married in 1993. They have four children together, three sons and a daughter.
During their marriage, MacKenzie played a significant role in the early days of Amazon, helping to develop the company’s business plan and serving as one of its first employees. While her contributions to the company have often been overshadowed by her husband’s public profile, MacKenzie’s impact on Amazon’s success cannot be overstated.
In January 2019, Jeff Bezos and MacKenzie Scott announced that they were divorcing. The split was amicable, with the couple releasing a joint statement emphasizing their continued friendship and commitment to co-parenting their children.
Following the divorce, MacKenzie received a significant financial settlement, which made her one of the wealthiest women in the world.
Despite the end of her marriage, MacKenzie has continued to prioritize her family life. She has spoken publicly about the importance of her children and their well-being and has credited them with inspiring her philanthropic work.
MacKenzie Scott remarried in 2021 to Dan Jewett, a science teacher at a private school in Seattle. The couple announced their marriage in a statement on Scott’s philanthropy website, stating that they were “excited to be married and even more excited about the work we will do together.”
Jewett has been described as a humble and thoughtful person who shares Scott’s passion for philanthropy and giving back to the community. In the statement announcing their marriage, he expressed his admiration for Scott’s commitment to making a positive impact in the world, saying that he was “grateful for the opportunity to partner in giving.”
However, Scott and Jewett divorced on January 4, 2023. They have no kids together.
Scott’s marriage to Jewett has been characterized by a shared commitment to philanthropy and a desire to use their wealth to make a positive impact in the world.
MacKenzie Scott Children
MacKenzie Scott has four children, three sons and a daughter, who were all adopted from China.
- Her oldest son is Preston Bezos, who was born in 2000 in Texas.
- Her second child is a daughter named Ella Bezos, who was born in 2004 in China. She was adopted by MacKenzie and Jeff when she was just a few months old and has grown up to be a talented equestrian.
- Her third child is a son named Beckett Bezos, who was born in 2005 in Seattle.
- Her youngest child is a son named Isaac Bezos, who was born in 2006. He has grown up with a passion for science and technology.
While the children have largely remained out of the public eye, MacKenzie has spoken publicly about the importance of her family and her commitment to their well-being. She has also credited her children with inspiring her philanthropic work and has said that their futures motivate her to give back and make a positive impact in the world.
MacKenzie Scott’s Challenges and Obstacles
MacKenzie Scott has faced several challenges and obstacles throughout her life, but she has overcome them with determination and resilience.
- Early Career Struggles: After graduating from college, MacKenzie struggled to find a job in her chosen field of writing. She took on a variety of odd jobs, including waitressing and teaching, before finally landing a job at a hedge fund.
- Personal Life Challenges: MacKenzie faced a difficult divorce from Jeff Bezos in 2019, which attracted significant media attention. She has also had to navigate the challenges of being a single parent while also managing her career and philanthropic work.
- Gender Discrimination: As a woman in the tech industry, MacKenzie has faced gender discrimination and bias throughout her career. She has spoken out about the need for greater gender equality and has advocated for women’s rights in the workplace.
- Wealth and Philanthropy: MacKenzie’s immense wealth has also presented challenges, particularly when it comes to deciding how to use her resources to make a positive impact. She has faced criticism for her philanthropic giving, with some arguing that she could do more to address systemic issues like wealth inequality.
However, MacKenzie Scott has remained committed to her values. She has used her platform and resources to make a positive impact in the world. She has become a role model for many, particularly women and girls.
MacKenzie Scott’s Accomplishments
MacKenzie Scott has accomplished a great deal in her life, both professionally and philanthropically.
- Successful Career in Writing: MacKenzie began her career as a writer, publishing several books that received critical acclaim. She also worked as a freelance writer for a variety of publications, including The Wall Street Journal and The New York Times.
- Co-Founder of Amazon: Along with her ex-husband Jeff Bezos, MacKenzie played a crucial role in the founding of Amazon, one of the most successful and influential companies in the world.
- Billionaire Philanthropist: After her divorce from Bezos, MacKenzie has used her wealth to make a significant impact through her philanthropic giving, donating billions of dollars to a variety of causes and organizations.
- Supporter of Women’s Rights: MacKenzie is a vocal advocate for women’s rights and gender equality. She has spoken out about the need for greater representation of women in leadership positions and has supported organizations that focus on empowering women and girls.
MacKenzie Scott’s accomplishments and works have inspired others to take action and make a positive impact in their communities. Her dedication to using her resources for the greater good has become a model for others to follow.
MacKenzie Scott’s Recognition and Awards
MacKenzie Scott has received several awards and recognition for her philanthropy and advocacy work.
- 2021 Ford Foundation Visionaries Award: MacKenzie received the Ford Foundation’s Visionaries Award for her “exceptional leadership and philanthropy.” The award recognized her commitment to supporting organizations that are working to create a more just and equitable world.
- 2021 Culture Award from DVF: MacKenzie was awarded the Culture Award from fashion designer Diane von Furstenberg. The award recognized her philanthropy and her work to support organizations that are making a positive impact on society.
- 2021 TIME 100: MacKenzie was included in the TIME 100 list of the most influential people in the world. The magazine praised her for her philanthropy and advocacy work, noting that she had given away more than $4 billion in the previous year alone.
- 2020 Women of Vision Award: MacKenzie was recognized with the Women of Vision award by the non-profit organization Concern Worldwide US. The award recognizes women who have made significant contributions to the fight against poverty and injustice.
- 2020 Elle Philanthropist of the Year: Elle magazine named MacKenzie the Philanthropist of the Year in their annual Women in Hollywood issue. The magazine praised her for her commitment to giving away her wealth and making a meaningful impact through her philanthropy.
- 2020 Chronicle of Philanthropy’s Philanthropy 50: MacKenzie was included in the Philanthropy 50, an annual ranking of the top philanthropists in the United States. She was recognized for her significant donations to a variety of organizations, including historically black colleges and universities, food banks, and public health organizations.
MacKenzie Scott’s life is a true testament to the power of perseverance, hard work, and the impact of giving back. From her early days as a student to her groundbreaking work at Amazon, she has consistently demonstrated her determination and ability to overcome obstacles.
MacKenzie has used her wealth for the greater good, making significant contributions to a wide range of causes and organizations. Her philanthropic efforts have earned her numerous awards and recognition, cementing her place as one of the most influential women in the world.
Check back for updates!
Feel free to share or add news on MacKenzie Scott in the comment section below.