This blog earns income with affiliate links. Isn’t that amazing?
Turn your online presence into Six Figures passive income! Join this Free Training NOW.
Who is Michael Bloomberg?
Michael Bloomberg is an American businessman, philanthropist, and politician. He is best known as the founder and majority owner of Bloomberg LP, a global financial information and media company.
Bloomberg served as the Mayor of New York City from 2002 to 2013 and has been involved in various philanthropic initiatives throughout his career. He is a billionaire with a net worth of over $76 billion as of 2023. Bloomberg is actively involved in national and global politics, including a run for president in 2020.
Become The Next Internet Millionaire
Michael Bloomberg Personal Info
Name: Michael Bloomberg
DOB: February 14, 1942.
Birthplace: Boston, Massachusetts, U.S.
Education: Johns Hopkins University & Harvard Business School.
Wife/Partner: Diana Taylor.
Hometown: New York, New York.
Famous As: Mayor of New York City from 2002 to 2013, and was a candidate for the 2020 Democratic nomination for President of the United States.
Michael Bloomberg’s Early Life And Education
Michael Bloomberg was born in Boston, Massachusetts, on February 14, 1942. He grew up in a middle-class Jewish family in Medford, Massachusetts, where his father worked as a bookkeeper.
Bloomberg attended Medford High School, where he was a member of the debate team and played on the school’s football team.
After graduating from high school in 1960, Bloomberg attended Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, Maryland, where he earned a bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering in 1964. He then attended Harvard Business School, where he received a Master of Business Administration degree in 1966.
During his time at Harvard Business School, Bloomberg served as the president of the Business School’s student government and was also a member of the Harvard Crimson, the university’s student newspaper. He worked as a parking lot attendant and construction worker during the summers to help pay for his education.
After completing his MBA, Bloomberg was hired by Salomon Brothers, a Wall Street investment bank, where he worked as a securities trader and later rose to become a partner in the firm. He worked at Salomon Brothers for 15 years until 1981, when he was fired after a corporate takeover.
Unlock the door to financial freedom with the
#1 home-based business opportunity!
Discover a way to earn over $100K a year from the comfort of your own home.
Don’t wait, click now to start your journey to success.
Michael Bloomberg’s Career
Michael Bloomberg’s career can be divided into two main phases: his early career in finance and business, and his later career in politics and philanthropy.
After being fired from Salomon Brothers in 1981, Bloomberg received a $10 million severance package, which he used to start his own company, Innovative Market Systems (IMS).
IMS developed a computerized system for tracking financial data, which was eventually adopted by major financial institutions around the world.
In 1986, Bloomberg changed the name of the company to Bloomberg LP and expanded its focus to include financial news and information.
Bloomberg LP became one of the world’s leading providers of financial information and media, with over 300,000 subscribers and annual revenues of more than $10 billion.
Michael Bloomberg served as CEO of the company until 2001, when he left to run for mayor of New York City.
Bloomberg was elected mayor of New York City in 2001, running as a Republican. He was reelected in 2005 and 2009 and served as mayor until 2013. During his time in office, Bloomberg implemented many controversial policies, including a ban on smoking in public places, a ban on large sugary drinks, and a program of stop-and-frisk policing.
Bloomberg also launched several major initiatives aimed at improving public health, education, and the environment. These included the creation of a new public health department, the implementation of a citywide bike-sharing program, and the establishment of a program to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
After leaving office, Bloomberg returned to his role as CEO of Bloomberg LP and also became involved in national and global politics. He has been a major donor to political campaigns and causes, and in 2020 he ran for president of the United States as a Democratic candidate.
Throughout his career, Bloomberg has also been a major philanthropist. He has donated billions of dollars to various causes. He has been particularly active in the areas of climate change and gun control.
Michael Bloomberg has pledged to donate the majority of his wealth to charity.
Michael Bloomberg’s Net Worth
Michael Bloomberg has a real-time net worth of $76.8 billion, according to Forbes on February 27, 2023.
Much of his wealth comes from his ownership of Bloomberg LP, the global financial information and media company he founded in 1981.
Bloomberg also has significant real estate holdings, including several properties in New York City.
Michael Bloomberg’s Personal Life
Michael Bloomberg’s personal life has been characterized by a mix of high-profile relationships, philanthropic activities, and political engagements.
Bloomberg married Susan Brown, whom he met while studying at Johns Hopkins University, for 18 years. The couple had two daughters together before divorcing in 1993.
Bloomberg has been in a long-term relationship with Diana Taylor, a former New York State banking regulator, since the early 2000s.
In addition to his personal life, Bloomberg is an avid runner and has completed numerous marathons throughout his life.
Michael Bloomberg is known for his interest in the arts and has been a major supporter of cultural institutions in New York City and around the world.
Despite his wealth and success, Bloomberg lives a modest lifestyle and has often been described as down-to-earth and approachable by those who know him personally.
Michael Bloomberg Parents
Michael Bloomberg’s parents were William Henry Bloomberg and Charlotte Rubens Bloomberg.
William Bloomberg was born in 1906 in Russia and immigrated to the United States as a child. He worked as a bookkeeper in Medford, Massachusetts, where Michael was born, and later moved the family to Brookline, a suburb of Boston.
Charlotte Rubens Bloomberg was born in Jersey City, New Jersey, in 1910, to parents who had immigrated from Russia. She was a homemaker and an active member of the local Jewish community.
Michael has credited his parents with teaching him the values of hard work, integrity, and giving back to the community.
Unfortunately, Michael’s father passed away when he was young, and his mother struggled to make ends meet as a single parent. Despite these challenges, Michael excelled academically and went on to attend some of the most prestigious universities in the United States.
Michael Bloomberg Siblings
Michael Bloomberg has a younger sister named Marjorie Tiven.
Marjorie is a lawyer and public servant who has worked for the City of New York in a variety of capacities. She served as Commissioner of the Mayor’s Office for International Affairs during Michael’s time as mayor. She has also worked for the United Nations and the New York State Attorney General’s Office.
Marjorie is known for her expertise in international relations and has been a strong advocate for women’s rights and global health issues.
Michael also had an older sister named Shirley, who passed away in 2019.
Shirley was a philanthropist and community activist who focused on issues related to education and youth development. She served as the president of the Jewish Museum in New York City and was a major donor to educational institutions and cultural organizations.
Shirley was also a supporter of the arts and a passionate collector of contemporary art.
Michael has spoken publicly about the important role his siblings played in his life, particularly after his father passed away. He said that his sisters inspired him to pursue a career in business and public service.
Michael remains close to Marjorie and is deeply saddened by the loss of his sister Shirley.
Michael Bloomberg’s Wife (Partner)
Michael Bloomberg has been married twice. His first marriage was to Susan Brown, whom he married in 1975.
Susan Brown was an English teacher at a private school in New York City. The couple was married for 18 years before divorcing in 1993. Together, they have two daughters, Emma and Georgina.
In 2000, Michael married his longtime partner, Diana Taylor.
Diana Taylor is a businesswoman and politician who has served as the New York State Superintendent of Banks and the Chair of the Hudson River Park Trust, among other positions. She is also active in philanthropy and has served on the boards of several nonprofit organizations, including the Breast Cancer Research Foundation and the Public Theater.
Michael and Diana have been together for over 20 years and have been a high-profile couple in New York City and beyond.
Despite their busy schedules, Michael and Diana are known for making time for each other and have been spotted together at cultural events and sporting activities around the city.
Michael Bloomberg Children
Michael Bloomberg has two daughters, Emma and Georgina, both from his first marriage to Susan Brown.
Emma was born in 1979 and is the eldest of Michael’s two daughters. She attended Princeton University, where she studied ecology and evolutionary biology, and went on to earn a master’s degree in environmental science from the University of London.
Emma has worked in various environmental and philanthropic organizations throughout her career, including the Natural Resources Defense Council, the Robin Hood Foundation, and Bloomberg Philanthropies, where she currently serves as the founder and CEO of the Bloomberg Harvard City Leadership Initiative.
Emma is also a board member of several nonprofit organizations, including the Brooklyn Botanic Garden and the Rainforest Alliance.
Georgina was born in 1983 and is the younger of Michael’s two daughters. She attended New York University, where she studied psychology and went on to become a professional equestrian.
Georgina has competed in numerous international horse shows and has won multiple awards, including a gold medal at the 2015 Pan American Games. She is also a philanthropist and animal rights activist.
Georgina Bloomberg has worked with several organizations to promote animal welfare and rescue. She is a board member of the Humane Society of the United States and the ASPCA.
Despite their different career paths, both of Michael’s daughters share his passion for public service and philanthropy.
Michael Bloomberg’s Challenges and Obstacles
Michael Bloomberg has faced several challenges and obstacles throughout his life and career. Some of the major challenges he has faced include:
- The loss of his father at a young age: Michael’s father passed away when he was just 20 years old, leaving his mother to raise him and his siblings on her own. The death of his father had a profound impact on Michael and shaped his values and work ethic.
- The financial crisis of the 1970s: In the 1970s, New York City was facing a severe financial crisis, and many of the city’s major businesses were struggling. Michael, who had just started his own company, Bloomberg LP, at the time, faced significant financial challenges as a result.
- Political opposition: As mayor of New York City, Michael faced significant opposition from political rivals and interest groups. His efforts to reform the city’s public education system and implement strict public health policies, such as banning smoking in public places, were met with resistance from some quarters.
- Controversial policies: Michael has been criticized for several of his policies and actions, including his support for stop-and-frisk policing and his decision to extend term limits for the mayor’s office. These controversies have made him a polarizing figure in some circles.
Michael has overcome many obstacles to achieve success both in business and public service.
Michael Bloomberg Accomplishments
Michael Bloomberg has many notable accomplishments throughout his life and career.
Here are some of his most significant achievements:
- Building a successful business empire: Michael founded Bloomberg LP in 1981, which has since become a global media and financial data company. Today, Bloomberg LP has more than 19,000 employees and operates in over 170 countries.
- Philanthropy: Michael has donated billions of dollars to charitable causes through Bloomberg Philanthropies, which he founded in 2006. The organization supports a wide range of causes, including public health, education, the environment, and the arts. He has also signed the Giving Pledge, promising to donate at least half of his wealth to charity.
- Public service: Michael served as the mayor of New York City from 2002 to 2013, during which time he implemented many innovative policies. He oversaw significant improvements in public safety, public health, and education, including a dramatic decrease in crime rates, a ban on smoking in public places, and the creation of the city’s first-ever public health department.
- Climate change advocacy: Michael has been a leading voice in the fight against climate change. He has donated millions of dollars to environmental causes and founded many initiatives, including America’s Pledge, which aims to uphold the goals of the Paris Agreement on climate change despite the U.S. government’s withdrawal from the accord.
- Gun control advocacy: Michael has been a vocal advocate for gun control measures, funding several initiatives through his philanthropic organization. He co-founded Mayors Against Illegal Guns, a coalition of mayors dedicated to reducing gun violence, and has also supported other gun control organizations.
- Education reform: Michael has been a strong proponent of education reform, advocating for increased accountability and the expansion of charter schools. During his time as mayor of New York City, he implemented a number of controversial education policies, including a system of letter grades for schools and the closing of underperforming schools.
Michael Bloomberg’s accomplishments have earned him a reputation as a leader in business, philanthropy, and public service.
Michael Bloomberg Recognition and Awards
Michael Bloomberg has received numerous awards and recognitions throughout his career.
- Honorary Knighthood – United Kingdom (2014): Michael Bloomberg was awarded an Honorary Knighthood by Queen Elizabeth II in recognition of his significant contributions to the UK economy, particularly in the financial sector. This award is one of the highest honors that a foreign citizen can receive from the UK.
- Presidential Medal of Freedom – United States (2016): President Barack Obama awarded Michael Bloomberg the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the highest civilian honor in the US, for his philanthropic contributions and dedication to public service.
- Insignia of Doctor of Humane Letters – University of Michigan (2008): Michael Bloomberg was awarded an honorary degree from the University of Michigan in recognition of his philanthropic work, particularly in the areas of public health and education.
- Insignia of Doctor of Laws – Harvard University (2014): Harvard University awarded Michael Bloomberg an honorary degree in recognition of his leadership and contributions to the fields of public health and environmental sustainability.
- Insignia of Doctor of Humane Letters – Brown University (2017): Brown University awarded Michael Bloomberg an honorary degree in recognition of his philanthropic work and advocacy for public health and education.
- Insignia of Doctor of Laws – Johns Hopkins University (2020): Johns Hopkins University awarded Michael Bloomberg an honorary degree in recognition of his contributions to public health and his leadership in advancing research and innovation.
- Insignia of Doctor of Laws – Bard College (2007): Bard College awarded Michael Bloomberg an honorary degree in recognition of his entrepreneurial spirit, leadership, and contributions to public service.
- Insignia of Doctor of Humane Letters – Tufts University (2011): Tufts University awarded Michael Bloomberg an honorary degree in recognition of his leadership and philanthropy, particularly in the areas of public health and education.
- Insignia of Doctor of Laws – New York University (2015): New York University awarded Michael Bloomberg an honorary degree in recognition of his leadership in the business world, his philanthropy, and his contributions to public service.
- Insignia of Doctor of Humane Letters – Georgetown University (2013): Georgetown University awarded Michael Bloomberg an honorary degree in recognition of his leadership and philanthropy, particularly in the areas of public health and education.
- Insignia of Doctor of Laws – University of North Carolina (2010): The University of North Carolina awarded Michael Bloomberg an honorary degree in recognition of his contributions to public service and his leadership in the business world.
- Insignia of Doctor of Laws – Williams College (2007): Williams College awarded Michael Bloomberg an honorary degree in recognition of his entrepreneurial spirit, leadership, and contributions to public service.
- Insignia of Doctor of Laws – University of Pennsylvania (2013): The University of Pennsylvania awarded Michael Bloomberg an honorary degree in recognition of his leadership and philanthropy, particularly in the areas of public health and education.
- Insignia of Doctor of Humane Letters – The George Washington University (2010): The George Washington University awarded Michael Bloomberg an honorary degree in recognition of his leadership and contributions to public service.
- The Hundred Year Association of New York’s Gold Medal Award (2009): Michael Bloomberg received this award in recognition of his outstanding leadership and contributions to the City of New York during his tenure as Mayor.
These awards and recognitions demonstrate the wide range of Michael Bloomberg’s contributions and accomplishments throughout his career and the impact he has had in the business world and public service.
That’s Michael Bloomberg’s Bio.
Check back for updates!
Please share or add news on Michael Bloomberg in the comment section below.
Hello! I am TQ. Like these billionaires and millionaires, most of my online businesses were total failures. Learning from these failed attempts, I launched a successful online business for less than $400. You can Read My Story to learn more.