Who is Nassim Nicholas Taleb?
Nassim Nicholas Taleb is a famous derivatives trader who had enormous profit betting against Fannie Mae in the late 2000s financial crisis.
After more than 21 years as an options trader working on Wall Street, Nassim Nicholas Taleb became a flaneur and researcher in philosophical, mathematical, and practical problems with probability.
His work on risk covers issues of political stability, the convergence of risk measures, statistical mechanics, psychological biases, and risk-based systems of ethics.
Nassim publicly disdains the investment models promoted by the finance industry.
Taleb is the author of the Incerto (The Black Swan, Fooled by Randomness, Antifragile, and Skin in the Game), a five-volume philosophical essay on uncertainty published between 2001 and 2018.
He is known for having proposed ‘The Black Swan Theory.
During his 20 years career as a derivatives trader, Nassim Nicholas Taleb employed The Black Swan strategies to make money for investors and himself.
The Black Swan book has been described by The Sunday Times as one of the twelve most influential books since World War II.
Nassim Nicholas Taleb has been a professor at several universities.
He is currently serving as a Distinguished Professor of Risk Engineering at New York University Polytechnic School of Engineering since September 2008.
Nassim Nicholas Taleb received numerous prizes, accolades, and honorary doctorates for his works.
The one accolade he is most proud of is the Wolfram Award for Innovation, granted by Stephen Wolfram for his contributions to computational probability.
Become The Next Internet Millionaire
Nassim Nicholas Taleb Personal Info
Name: Nassim Nicholas Taleb
DOB: September 12, 1960
Birth Place: Amioun, Lebanon
Education: Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania
Wife/Partner: Cindy Sheldon
Hometown: New York, NY
Famous As: A derivatives trader betting against Fannie Mae in the late 2000s financial crisis.
Nassim Nicholas Taleb Net Worth
Nassim Taleb Net estimated net worth is between $80 million – $97 Million.
He accumulated an enormous amount of wealth betting against Fannie Mae in the late 200s financial crisis.
Apart from that, Nassim Nicholas Taleb earns money from the sales of his books with more than 120 translations in 35 languages.
Nassim also receives additional income from university lectures and as a scientific advisor.
The fact that Taleb is a LEAP investor justifies him being a millionaire.
Unlock the door to financial freedom with the
#1 home-based business opportunity!
Discover a way to earn over $100K a year from the comfort of your own home.
Don’t wait, click now to start your journey to success.
Nassim Nicholas Taleb Childhood Life
Nassim Nicholas Taleb was born оn Маrсh 27, 1960 іn thе сіtу оf Аmіоun, Lеbаnоn to a privileged family. He was the only child.
Both of Nassim parents held Frеnсh сіtіzеnship аnd Grееk Оrthоdох Lеbаnеѕе.
Nаѕѕіm Таlеb аttеndеd thе the Grand Lycée Franco-Libanais in Beirut. This school was considered the leading French Lycée in the Lebanon.
The 1975 Lebanese Civil War had a disastrous effect on Nassim and his family. His family lost much of its wealth and its political influence.
Nassim Nicholas Taleb had to leave his country to complete his study at the University of Paris. He graduated with a Bachelor of Science degree with honors and a Master of Science degree.
At the age of nineteen, Nаѕѕіm migrated to the United States where he studied at the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania.
Nаѕѕіm Taleb studied at Wharton for his MBA degree. It was during his studies there that he became fascinated by probability arguments.
Taleb graduated from the Wharton School with an MBA in 1983 and became a Derivatives Trader on Wall Street for the next 21 years.
Nassim Nicholas Taleb gained fame for predicting the recession of the late 2000s. He made a fortune betting against it.
Taleb then changed his career in 2006 to become a scholar, mathematical researcher, and philosophical essayist.
Since starting his academic career, Nаѕѕіm Taleb has written more than 65 scholarly papers across various aspects of risk and probability.
In 2011, Bloomberg listed Nassim Nicholas Taleb among the 50 most influential persons in the world of Finance. He is one of the 25 most influential graduates of the Wharton School.
Nassim Nicholas Taleb Family
The Taleb was a rich and powerful family in Lebanese.
Nassim Taleb is the only child of Nagib Taleb and Minerva Ghosn.
His father, Nagib Taleb, was an oncologist and hematologist, and his mother, Minerva Ghosn, was an anthropology researcher.
Both the Taleb and Ghosn families held high-ranking positions in the Lebanese government before the civil war of 1975.
The Civil War had a disastrous effect on both families. They lost much of their wealth and political influence.
Nassim Nicholas Taleb Wife (Partner)
Nassim Nicholas Taleb married Cynthia Anne Shelton on January 30, 1988, at St Anne’s Episcopal Church in Atlanta. She was studying for an MBA at New York University at the time.
Cynthia Anne Shelton is the daughter of Joseph Marshall Shelton of Atlanta.
Her father, a retired cinematographer, and her mother, Doris Haley Shelton, founded Shelton Productions, a film production company in Atlanta.
Nassim Nicholas Taleb Children
Nassim and Cynthia Taleb had two children, Sarah Taleb and Alexander Taleb.
There is relatively little known information about his children.
The offspring of this wealthy and intelligent man prefers to stay out of the limelight.
Nassim Nicholas Taleb Accomplishments
- As a derivatives trader for The First Boston Corporation, Nassim Nicholas Taleb earned enormous profits for the organization, especially during the stock market crash in October 1987.
- In 1997, he wrote the book ‘Dynamic Hedging: Managing Vanilla and Exotic Options,’ a detailed guide to derivatives risk and risk management.
- Nassim Nicholas Taleb started teaching at the ‘Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences,’ the mathematical research school of ‘New York University,’ New York, in 1999. He served the institute until 2005.
- Nassim Nicholas Taleb co-founded the hedge-fund firm Empirica Capital LLC in 1999, which followed an investment strategy known as the Black Swan Strategy.
- In 2001, Nassim published the Fooled by Randomness: The Hidden Role of Chance in Life and in the Markets. The book was the first segment of his multi-volume philosophical thesis on uncertainty, titled ‘Incerto.’
- In 2005, Nassim shut his company down to become a full-time researcher and author.
- Nassim became the scientific advisor to the hedge fund firm ‘Universa Investments’ in 2007.
- In 2007, He published The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable. The book introduced readers to ‘The Black Swan Theory’ developed by him.
- Since 2008, he has been working with the ‘New York University Tandon School of Engineering,’ the engineering and applied sciences school of the ‘New York University,’ as the “Distinguished Professor of Risk Engineering.”
- From 2009 to 2013, Nassim Nicholas Taleb served as the “Distinguished Research Scholar” at the ‘Said Business School,’ ‘The University of Oxford,’ Oxford, U.K.
- In 2009, Taleb appeared on the ‘Forbes’ list of the “Most Influential Management Gurus.”
- In 2010, he finished a book on aphorisms, titled ‘The Bed of Procrustes: Philosophical and Practical Aphorisms.’ It was the third volume of ‘Incerto’ and challenged widely held beliefs and values.
- In 2011, Nassim Taleb was featured on the 50 Most Influential List, curated by Bloomberg Markets.
- The fourth volume of Incerto, titled ‘Antifragile: Things That Gain from Disorder,’ which was also the final segment of the original Incerto, was published in 2012.
- In 2014, Nassim Nicholas Taleb was named the co-editor-in-chief of ‘Risk and Decision Analysis,’ an academic journal.
- Nassim Nicholas Taleb published Skin in the Game: Hidden Asymmetries in Daily Life in February 2018. The book further widened his ideas of the previous books. It was added to ‘Incerto’ as the fifth volume and released a year later.
- In 2020, ‘Statistical Consequences of Fat Tails: Real World Preasymptotics, Epistemology, and Applications’ was published as “volume I” of ‘Technical Incerto.’
- The Gottlieb Duttweiler Institute in Ruschlikon, Switzerland, named Nassim Taleb to their list of 100 Most Influential Thought Leaders in the World.
- In recognition of his contribution toward decision-making under complicated and less-idealized probabilistic structures using ‘Mathematica,’ he was honored with the ‘Wolfram Innovator Award.’
That’s Nassim Nicholas Taleb Bio.
Check back for updates!
Please share or add news on Nassim Nicholas Taleb in the comment section below.