Who is Leonard Lauder?
Leonard Lauder is a titan of the cosmetics industry and one of the most successful businessmen of his generation. As the former CEO of the Estée Lauder Companies, he helped build the family business into a global empire that revolutionized the beauty industry.
Born in 1933, Lauder was the son of Estée Lauder and Joseph Lauder, who founded the Estée Lauder Companies in 1946. After serving in the military, Lauder joined the family business and quickly rose through the ranks, eventually becoming CEO in 1982. Under his leadership, the company expanded its product offerings and entered new markets, becoming one of the largest and most successful cosmetics companies in the world.
But Lauder’s impact goes beyond just business success. He has been a passionate philanthropist throughout his life, supporting causes ranging from medical research to the arts. He played a key role in the establishment of the Alzheimer’s Drug Discovery Foundation and has been a generous supporter of the Whitney Museum of American Art.
Lauder is one of the wealthiest people in the world, but he has never forgotten the importance of giving back. His legacy is not just in the products he helped create or the businesses he helped build, but in the positive impact, he has had on the world through his philanthropy and leadership.
Here’s the story of Leonard Lauder.
Become The Next Internet Millionaire
Leonard Lauder Personal Info
Name: Leonard Lauder
DOB: March 19, 1933
Birthplace: New York City, U.S.A.
Education: Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania
Wife/Partner: Judy Ellis Glickman
Hometown: New York, New York
Famous As: a prominent businessman in the cosmetics industry and his dedication to promoting women in business.
Leonard Lauder’s Early Life
Leonard Lauder was born on March 19, 1933, in New York City. His parents were Jewish immigrants who had come to the United States from Hungary in the early 1900s. Estée Lauder was a talented businesswoman who had started her own cosmetics company, and Joseph Lauder was a successful garment manufacturer.
Lauder grew up in a privileged environment with a strong emphasis on education and business acumen. His mother instilled in him a love of cosmetics and an understanding of the importance of quality and presentation. From a young age, he was exposed to the world of business, accompanying his parents to trade shows and learning about marketing and sales.
Throughout his childhood and early adulthood, Lauder was heavily influenced by his family’s strong work ethic and entrepreneurial spirit. His parents were both successful businesspeople, and they instilled in him a passion for hard work, creativity, and innovation. These values would stay with him throughout his life and shape his approach to business.
Unlock the door to financial freedom with the
#1 home-based business opportunity!
Discover a way to earn over $100K a year from the comfort of your own home.
Don’t wait, click now to start your journey to success.
Leonard Lauder’s Education
Lauder attended the McBurney School in New York City and went on to study at the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania, where he earned a degree in economics in 1954.
At Wharton, Lauder developed an interest in retailing and advertising. He was an active participant in campus life, serving as the president of the student government and the editor of the school newspaper. He also became involved in theater and the arts, which would later become a passion of his outside of work.
After graduating from Wharton in 1954, Lauder spent two years in the United States Army, serving in the Signal Corps. During his time in the Army, he continued to develop his leadership skills and work ethic, which would serve him well in his later career.
Leonard Lauder’s education played a key role in shaping his career path and success in the business world.
Leonard Lauder’s Career
Leonard Lauder’s career has been defined by his dedication to the cosmetics industry and his leadership in building the family business, the Estée Lauder Companies, into a global empire.
Lauder spent two years in the United States Army, serving in the Signal Corps. He then returned to New York City. At the time, Estée Lauder’s cosmetics company was still a small operation, run out of the family’s apartment on Fifth Avenue.
Leonard Lauder began his career in advertising and marketing, working for several top firms in New York City. However, he was always drawn to the cosmetics industry, and in 1958, he joined his family’s business, the Estée Lauder Companies.
Lauder began to apply the skills and knowledge he had gained at Wharton. He quickly rose through the ranks of the company, becoming vice president in 1964 and president in 1972. In 1982, he became CEO, a position he held until 1999.
During his tenure as CEO, Lauder helped to transform the Estée Lauder Companies into a global powerhouse in the cosmetics industry. He expanded the company’s product offerings and entered new markets, including Asia and Europe. He also led the company’s successful acquisition of several other major cosmetics brands, including Clinique, MAC, and Bobbi Brown.
Throughout his career, Lauder was known for his innovative approach to marketing and his commitment to quality and excellence. He remains a respected figure in the cosmetics industry.
Leonard Lauder’s Net Worth
Leonard Lauder has a real-time net worth of $21.8 billion as of April 29, 2023, making him one of the wealthiest people in the world. Most of his wealth comes from his ownership of the Estée Lauder Companies, a global cosmetics empire that he built into a powerhouse during his long career in the industry.
Lauder’s net worth has also been boosted by his successful investments in real estate and other industries. He is the owner of several luxury properties in New York City, including a penthouse apartment on Fifth Avenue that is said to be worth over $70 million. In addition, he has made significant investments in other industries, including technology and finance.
Leonard Lauder’s net worth is a reflection of his success as a businessman.
Leonard Lauder’s Personal Life
Leonard Lauder is known for his intelligence, creativity, and business acumen. He is also a passionate philanthropist supporting causes ranging from medical research to the arts. He played a key role in the establishment of the Alzheimer’s Drug Discovery Foundation and has been a generous supporter of the Whitney Museum of American Art.
In 2013, Leonard Lauder made headlines when he pledged to donate his entire art collection, which is valued at over $1 billion, to the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City.
Outside of his professional and philanthropic pursuits, Lauder has a wide range of interests and hobbies. He is an avid art collector and has a world-renowned collection that includes works by artists such as Picasso, Braque, and Klee. He is also a lover of fine wine and has a collection of over 6,000 bottles.
Leonard Lauder is known for his charisma, his sense of humor, and his ability to inspire and motivate others. He has been praised for his leadership skills and his ability to build successful teams and companies.
Leonard Lauder’s Parents
Leonard Lauder was born to parents Joseph and Estée Lauder, who were both instrumental in building the Estée Lauder Companies.
Joseph Lauder was born in Hungary in 1902 and immigrated to the United States with his family when he was just a child. He met Estée in New York City in the 1930s, and the two quickly fell in love. Together, they founded the Estée Lauder Companies in 1946, with Estée serving as the face of the company and Joseph handling the business operations.
Estée Lauder, on the other hand, was responsible for developing many of its most iconic products. She was known for her innovative approach to cosmetics and her dedication to providing high-quality products to her customers.
Together, Joseph and Estée Lauder built the Estée Lauder Companies. Leonard Lauder, the son of Joseph and Estée, played a major role in growing and expanding the company into new markets, cementing its position as one of the world’s most successful cosmetics companies.
Leonard Lauder’s Siblings
Leonard Lauder has two siblings: Ronald Lauder, and Robert Lauder.
- Ronald Lauder was born in 1944. He is the second eldest of the Lauder siblings. He is a successful businessman with a wide range of business interests. Like his brother Leonard, Ronald is also an art collector, with a collection that includes works by many famous artists. Ronald Lauder is also involved in politics. He served as the United States Ambassador to Austria from 1986 to 1987 and has been a vocal advocate for Israel and Jewish causes throughout his career.
- Robert Lauder was born in 1947. He is the youngest of the Lauder siblings. He has largely stayed out of the public eye and is not involved in the family business. However, he is known for his philanthropic work and has made significant donations to a wide range of charitable causes over the years.
The Lauder siblings have each made significant contributions to the family’s legacy of business success and philanthropy. Their work has had a major impact on a wide range of industries and causes, and their influence is felt around the world.
Leonard Lauder’s Wife (Partner)
Leonard Lauder has been married twice in his life. His first marriage was to Evelyn Hausner, whom he married in 1959. The couple eventually divorced in 2003. During their marriage, Evelyn played a major role in the family business, serving as Senior Corporate Vice President and head of fragrance development.
In 2015, Leonard Lauder married photographer Judy Ellis Glickman. The couple had known each other for over 60 years before getting married and had reconnected after both of their previous marriages had ended.
Judy is a well-known photographer who has captured images of some of the world’s most famous people, including Martin Luther King Jr. and Robert F. Kennedy.
Leonard and Judy are known for their strong commitment to their relationship and often attend events together. They are both active in the art world and have a shared passion for collecting photography.
Leonard Lauder’s family life has also been marked by tragedy. In 2011, his ex-wife Evelyn passed away after a long battle with ovarian cancer. Her death was a major loss for the Lauder family and for the breast cancer community, which she had worked so tirelessly to support.
Leonard Lauder’s Children
Leonard Lauder has two sons, William P. Lauder and Gary Lauder.
- William P. Lauder was born in 1960. He graduated from the University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School with a degree in economics before joining the family business, Estée Lauder Companies, in 1986. Over the years, he has held a variety of positions within the company, including President and CEO from 2004 to 2008 and Executive Chairman from 2009 to 2019. He currently serves as Chairman Emeritus of the company’s board of directors.
- Gary Lauder was born in 1963. He is the younger of Leonard Lauder’s two sons. He also graduated from the University of Pennsylvania, with degrees in economics and electrical engineering, before going on to earn a Masters in Business Administration from the Stanford Graduate School of Business. Gary has worked in a variety of fields over the years, including venture capital and telecommunications. He is the founder and managing director of Lauder Partners LLC, a venture capital firm that invests in early-stage technology companies.
Both of Leonard Lauder’s sons have followed in their father’s footsteps by pursuing successful careers in business.
Leonard Lauder’s Challenges and Obstacles
Leonard Lauder has faced numerous challenges and obstacles throughout his life, both personal and professional.
One of the most significant challenges that Leonard Lauder faced early in his career was taking over the family business, Estée Lauder Companies, after the sudden death of his father. At the time, Leonard was only 25 years old and had limited experience in the cosmetics industry. Nevertheless, he was determined to honor his father’s legacy and grow the business.
Under Leonard’s leadership, Estée Lauder Companies expanded rapidly, but not without facing significant challenges along the way. In the early 1980s, the company was struggling financially, and Leonard was forced to make some difficult decisions to turn things around. He streamlined the company’s operations and cut costs, but also invested heavily in marketing and research and development.
In addition, Leonard Lauder has also faced some personal setbacks over the years. In 2011, his wife Evelyn passed away after a long battle with ovarian cancer. He has continued to honor her legacy by supporting charitable causes related to breast cancer research.
Leonard Lauder has demonstrated remarkable resilience and determination in the face of adversity. He has always been willing to take on new challenges and pursue his passions with enthusiasm and dedication. As a result, he has become one of the most successful and respected business leaders of his generation and a role model for countless individuals around the world.
Leonard Lauder’s Accomplishments
Leonard Lauder has achieved a wide range of accomplishments throughout his career, both as a business leader and as a philanthropist.
- As the head of Estée Lauder Companies, Leonard oversaw the expansion of the company into one of the world’s largest and most successful cosmetics companies. He was instrumental in launching many of the company’s most successful brands, including Clinique, Origins, and Bobbi Brown, and he played a key role in expanding the company’s global reach. Under his leadership, Estée Lauder Companies became known for its innovative products, high-quality standards, and commitment to social responsibility.
- Leonard has also been a dedicated philanthropist, supporting a wide range of causes through his family’s charitable foundation, the Leonard and Evelyn Lauder Foundation. He has been a major supporter of breast cancer research and a strong advocate for the arts. He has supported numerous cultural institutions, including the Whitney Museum of American Art and the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
Beyond his professional and philanthropic accomplishments, Leonard Lauder is also known for his personal qualities, including his intelligence, charm, and charisma. He is widely admired for his leadership skills, his strategic vision, and his commitment to ethical business practices.
Leonard Lauder Recognition and Awards
Leonard Lauder has received numerous recognition and awards throughout his career. His accomplishments and contributions have been widely recognized by organizations in various fields, such as business, philanthropy, and the arts.
- Legion of Honor (2013): Awarded by the French government in recognition of his contributions to the cosmetics industry and his support for French culture.
- Women’s Wear Daily Beauty Inc. Visionary Award (2012): Presented in recognition of his leadership and vision in the beauty industry.
- Jewish Museum Visionary Leadership Award (2011): Awarded in recognition of his leadership and philanthropic contributions to the Jewish community.
- John Jay Justice Award (2011): Presented by the John Jay College of Criminal Justice in recognition of his contributions to the community and the justice system.
- Pratt Institute Legends Award (2010): Presented in recognition of his contributions to the arts and his support for design education.
- Cosmetic Executive Women’s Lifetime Achievement Award (2004): Presented in recognition of his contributions to the cosmetics industry and his commitment to promoting women in business.
- Harvard Business School Alumni Achievement Award (2002): Presented in recognition of his leadership and success in the business world.
- The Women’s Project’s Women of Achievement Award (2001): Presented in recognition of his support for women’s leadership in the arts.
- The New York Public Library’s Library Lion Award (1998): Presented in recognition of his support for the arts and his commitment to promoting literacy.
These are just a few of the many awards and recognition that Leonard Lauder has received throughout his career.
Leonard Lauder’s life has been nothing short of remarkable. But perhaps most importantly, he is known for his infectious enthusiasm, his love of life, and his unwavering commitment to making a positive difference in the world.
Leonard Lauder is a true icon of the business world and a role model for us all.
Check back for updates!
Feel free to share or add news on Leonard Lauder in the comment section below.