Who Is Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos, AKA Jeffrey Preston Bezos, is an American entrepreneur and founder of the giant retail eCommerce, Amazon.com.
His successful business ventures have made him one of the richest men in the world.
Born to Jacklyn Gise and Ted Jorgensen, Jeff Bezos was adopted by Miguel Bezos, a Cuban immigrant, after his mother married him.
At a young age, Bezos had an interest in computers and studied computer science and electrical engineering at Princeton University.
He worked on Wall Street with a variety of investment firms from 1986 to early 1994.
During a cross-country road trip from New York City to Seattle in late 1994, Jeff Bezos created Amazon.
Amazon began as an online bookstore. Bezos then expanded it to include other eCommerce products and services, such as video and audio streaming, cloud computing, and artificial intelligence.
Amazon.com is currently the world’s largest online retail company.
Jeff Bezos’s childhood dream of space travel spurred the founding of Blue Origin, an aerospace company that will offer space travel to the public.
Become The Next Internet Millionaire
JEFF BEZOS PERSONAL INFO
Name: Jeffrey Preston Jorgensen, aka Jeff Bezos
DOB: January 12, 1964
Birth Place: Albuquerque, New Mexico, U.S
Education: Princeton University
Father: Ted Jorgensen
Mother: Jacklyn Gise Jorgensen
Hometown: Seattle, Washington
Famous As: Founder of Amazon.com
Jeff Bezos Net Worth
The exact Net Worth of Jeff Bezos is constantly changing every day.
However, Jeff Bezos first became a millionaire in 1997 after raising $54 million through Amazon’s initial public offering (IPO).
He was first included on the Forbes World’s Billionaires list in 1999 with a registered net worth of $10.1 billion.
From 2005 to 2007, his net worth grew to $8.7 billion.
By March 2016, Forbes estimated Bezos’s net worth at $45.2 billion.
Bezos was named the “richest man in modern history” after his net worth increased to $150 billion in July 2018.
Bezos’s wealth was reduced by 25%, $36 billion, after he divorced his wife MacKenzie Bezos in 2019.
During the COVID-19 pandemic of 2020, Bezos’s fortune grew by approximately $24 billion, citing a surge in demand from households on lockdown shopping on Amazon.
In August 2020, according to Forbes, he had a net worth exceeding $200 billion.
On July 5, 2021, Bezos stepped down as the CEO of Amazon and transitioned into the role of executive chairman.
You should check Forbes for Jeff Bezos’s latest net worth.
If you are looking for a safe and legit way to make money online, here’s how I earn over $100K a year. Check out my #1 home-based business opportunity to learn more.
Jeff Bezos Childhood Life
Jeff Bezos was born in Albuquerque, New Mexico, on January 12, 1964.
At the time of his birth, his mother, Jacklyn Gise, was a 17-year-old high school student and his father, Ted Jorgensen, was 19. The Jorgensens were married less than a year.
Jacklyn often attended night school while bringing baby Jeff along.
His mother remarried Mike Bezos, a Cuban immigrant, in April 1968.
Within a year after the marriage, Mike adopted four-year-old Jeffrey Preston Jorgensen. Jeff changed his surname to Bezos.
The family then moved to Houston, Texas, where Mike worked as an engineer for Exxon.
Jeff Bezos attended River Oaks Elementary School, Houston, from fourth to sixth grade.
The then family moved to Miami, Florida, where Bezos attended Miami Palmetto High School.
While in high school, Bezos started his first business, the Dream Institute, an educational summer camp for fourth, fifth, and sixth graders.
Bezos developed a love for computers at an early age. He turned his parents’ garage into a laboratory and rigging electrical contraptions around his room to his younger siblings out of his room.
Jeff graduated from high school as a valedictorian, a National Merit Scholar, and a Silver Knight Award winner in 1982.
In his high school graduation speech, Bezos told the audience, “he dreamed of the day when mankind would colonize space.”
Bezos attended Princeton University and majored in computer science and electrical engineering.
In 1986, he graduated summa cum laude from Princeton University.
After graduating from Princeton University, Jeff Bezos undertook a series of jobs before joining the New York investment bank, D.E. Shaw & Co., in 1990.
While working at D.E Shaw, Bezos saw the enormous potential of the internet. So, he quit his full-time job and moved to Seattle, Washington, to open a virtual bookstore.
Jeff Bezos Family
Jeff Bezos Parents
Ted Jorgensen and Jacklyn Gise are biological parents of Jeff Bezos.
Ted Jorgensen and Jacklyn Gise were teenagers at the time she gave birth to Jeff.
The couple divorced in 1965.
Jacklyn then met Miguel “Mike” Bezos and fell in love. She asked Mike to adopt Jeff after marrying him. Jeff Bezos was four years old at the time.
Jacklyn and Mike Bezos are the legal parents of Jeff Bezos. In the 90s, they lent Jeff a risky $245,000 to start Amazon when the Internet was in its infancy.
Jeff Bezos Wife (Partner)
Bezos married Mackenzie Tuttle In 1993. The couple met while working at D.E. Shaw.
In 1994, they moved across the country to Seattle, Washington, where Bezos founded Amazon.
The couple has four children: three sons and one daughter adopted from China. We will discuss Bezos’s children in the next section.
Unfortunately, the couple announced on Twitter their intention to divorce in 2019. According to the couple, they were living separately for a long time.
Bezos and Mackenzie finally divorced on April 4, 2019.
After the divorce, Bezos kept 75% of the couple’s Amazon stock, and MacKenzie getting the remaining 25% in Amazon stock.
Bezos is currently dating Lauren Sánchez, a former news anchor, TV show host, and helicopter pilot.
Jeff Bezos Children
The offspring of the wealthiest man in the world prefer to stay out of the limelight. There is relatively little known information about Mr. Bezos’s children.
Jeff Bezos has four children. His oldest son, Preston Bezos, was born in 2000, followed by two sons, and then the daughter adopted from China.
Preston Bezos is known to enjoy traveling and loves Mexican food. He has claimed Miami as his favorite holiday destination in the world.
Bezos now shares 50/50 custody of the children with his former wife.
His children are likely to inherit his enormous fortune in the future.
Jeff Bezos Siblings
Bezos had a younger sister, Christina Bezos-Poore, and brother, Mark Bezos.
Mark Bezos has an entirely different outlook on life.
Mark Bezos works at the Robin Hood. He is also a part of the poverty-fighting charity in New York City and the assistant captain of a volunteer fire company in suburban New York.
Mark had made occasional appearances in the biographies and interviews of Jeff, but a simple and shy Mark keeps a low profile.
Christina Bezos Poore is Jeff’s younger sister. She was born in 1969.
Christina met and married Stephen S. Poore in 1995 while living in Texas.
According to Fame Chain, she is one of the co-directors of the Bezos Family Foundation.
Jeff Bezos Accomplishments
- In 1986, Jeff Bezos graduated from Princeton University with the highest honors and Phi Beta Kappa (membership in a national honor society), earning degrees in electrical engineering and the still-new field of computer science.
- In 1988, Bezos took a job developing systems for managing investment funds at Banker’s Trust in New York City. After two years, he moved to the Wall Street investment firm of D. E. Shaw & Company as a computer specialist.
- In 1992, at age twenty-eight, Bezos became Shaw’s youngest vice president. He was promoted to the senior vice president two years later.
- In 1994, Bezos read an article about the World Wide Web growing by 2,300 percent a year. He knew he had to tap into such a great potential for commerce.
- On July 6, 1995, Bezos launched Amazon.com, an online bookstore, with financial and moral support from family and friends. The company operated out of the garage of Bezos’s two-bedroom home in suburban Seattle, Washington.
- In 1997, Amazon went public. Jeff Bezos became a millionaire.
- In 1998, Bezos expanded Amazon to start offering CDs and videos.
- In September 2000, Bezos founded Blue Origin, a human spaceflight startup. Bezos has long expressed an interest in space travel and the development of human life in the Solar System.
- In 2002, Bezos led Amazon to launch Amazon Web Services, which compiled data from weather channels and website traffic.
- In 2003, Amazon formed A9, a commercial search engine focusing on e-commerce websites.
- In 2006, Amazon launched its video-on-demand service known as Amazon Unbox on TiVo. It eventually rebranded as Amazon Instant Video.
- In 2007, Amazon introduced a handheld electronic reading device, the Kindle, which uses E-Ink to render text with adjustable font size to enhance ease of reading.
- On August 5, 2013, Bezos purchased The Washington Post and other publications affiliated with The Washington Post Co.
- In December 2013, Bezos revealed an experimental initiative called Amazon Prime Air that uses drones capable of carrying weight up to 5 pounds and traveling 10-miles to provide delivery services to customers.
- In 2015, Bezos announced that a new orbital launch vehicle was under development and would make its first flight in the late-2010s.
- By late 2016, Blue Origin projected that it could begin flying passengers to space on the New Shepard in 2018.
- In 2017, Amazon acquired the Whole Foods grocery chain for $13.7 billion in cash.
- On July 27, 2017, Bezos momentarily became the world’s wealthiest person over Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates when his estimated net worth increased to just over $90 billion.
- On March 6, 2018, Jeff Bezos was designated the wealthiest person in the world by Forbes with a net worth of $112 billion.
- In February 2021, Bezos announced that he would step down from his role as CEO of Amazon to become the Executive Chair of the Amazon Board.
- In June 2021, Blue Origin auctioned off a seat on the company’s debut private astronaut mission for $28 million.
- On July 20, 2021, he launched on the NS-16 mission with his brother Mark Bezos, Wally Funk, and Oliver Daemen.
That’s Jeff Bezos Bio.
Check back for updates!
Please share or add news on Jeff Bezos in the comment section below.